Cardboard Roll Heart Stamp
Here is a simple, but fun activity for your little ones. Once the prints are dry, you might think about turning them into Valentine’s Day cards. Just think, Grandparents and other family members would love them!
- Cardboard rolls from either paper towels or toilet paper
- Washable tempera paint
- A paper plate
- Heavyweight paper
- If you’re using a paper towel roll, cut it in half to make the stamp more manageable for small hands
- Press the roll flat and make two firm creases
- Invert one of the creases and crease again to make the indent on the top of the heart
- Fill a paper plate with a shallow well of paint
- Place the tube in paint and print on the paper
Over time, the cardboard roll will begin to lose its shape. To solve this, you can re-crease the roll, flip it over and use the other side, or make another roll. To make an even cooler effect, use different colors or add some white paint to red and make an ombre array of colors. Or use red or pink paper and white paint. The possibilities are endless. Have fun!
Origami Heart Bookmark
The origami heart bookmark is a remarkable piece of paper art. It is best made using origami paper with different colors on each side, such as white and red. The different colors allow the heart to stand out from the base of the bookmark. However, if all you have is plain white paper, don’t let that stop you from being creative. You’ll have a plain canvas to put your artistic talent to work using crayons and color pencils.
- Origami paper, various colors
- Basic art supplies for fun
- Start with a square piece of origami paper.
- Fold the paper in half, left over to the right, then unfold.
- Cut the paper in half. We just need one half.
- With one half, fold that in half and unfold.
- Fold the sides to the center, then unfold.
- Fold the upper right corner down to the crease as shown, then unfold.
- Fold the top down beginning at the crease of the upper right corner.
- Fold the left and right corners to the center crease.
- Fold the top triangle backwards at the crease.
- Lift the right flap up as you fold the right side to the center, then flatten the top as shown.
- Repeat the above step on the left side.
- Fold the inner corners down as shown.
- Fold the outer corners as shown.
- Turn the figure over. Abracadabra! You now have a heart bookmark!
These make great gifts for friends and family members, so keep trying – it’s easy once you get the hang of it. Try personalizing them for each person – do you have a friend who loves animal print? Draw leopard spots before folding. Another loves music, use sheet music. You get the idea. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!
Mesa Pediatric Urgent Care and Gilbert Pediatric Urgent Care
Save time and money this winter by visiting AllKids Urgent Care. Click here for more information about us and our services. And remember, both locations are open from noon until 10pm even on Valentine’s Day!